Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder or SLR?
From: "Johannes A Dykstra" <hans.mieke@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 22:34:04 +1100

Tom,

My wife has done the same, but it's a second M6 body for me.  I use both R
and M systems, and some Nikon and Canon stuff too.  Based on my experience
(which is not great but perhaps relevant to your situation) if I was going
to be taking pictures of people, family, when travelling, at work, on the
streets, or just for the pleasure of it, I would definitely keep the M6.  It
is superb, with its lenses, in these roles.

Why?  Here's why.  I attended my cousin's wedding yesterday.  Took my M6 and
50/2 with Reala (100 speed) for fun.  The guy getting paid to take photo's
used Nikon SLR gear, with a battered medium format 'thing' for a few set
piece shots.  Kodak Portra 400 VC in both.  We chatted about the light
throughout the afternoon and evening.  He was a nice fella.  Said he wanted
my camera.

The bride arrived in a vintage car, looking as lovely as you could imagine
(the girl, not the car).
The paid guy, using his 'what you don't see when you press the button is
what you get' SLR didn't see the bride's blink with his only shot of her
preparing to alight from the vehicle.  This being the main problem with
SLR's and people photography.  With critical, can't be repeated people
photography.  I was 'that' close to whispering 'blink' in the guy's ear, but
he was working quickly and I didn't want to bother him.  But I know now I
shouldn't have hesitated.  If it had been me I would have appreciated it.
With an M6, there would be no doubt in a situation like
this, as you see the blink.

Also, the fast lenses available with the M system could have avoided the use
of ambience wrecking flash, my other concern yesterday.  As the paid guy was
clacking and blitzing away in the candle lit, stained glass illuminated
chapel, I was quietly clicking at f2 and 1/8th.  People said the flash
wasn't working and couldn't understand when I said the camera didn't have
one and didn't need one.  I'll get the lovely colour of the Reala proofs
tomorrow.

However, if you are a dedicated nature or sports photographer or prefer a
truly flexible SLR system over a people friendly rangefinder, then an R8
with suitable lenses might suit better.

Seems your wife's a sport.  Get both!  And give her extra cuddles to boot.

Regards.

Rick Dykstra