Subject: Re: [Leica] f/2.8 24 mm Elmarit-R - field curvature
From: "Johannes A Dykstra" <hans.mieke@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 22:31:33 +1100

I've been using an f2.8 24mm Elmarit R (ROM) for a while and I find it to be
most satisfactory.  Lovely colour rendition, good flare control and low
distortion to my experience.  But it does seem to have more pronounced field
curvature than my other R lenses.  And the field curvature appears to cause
the in focus zone to curve away from the camera when moving away from the
centre of the image.  But I'm no techo on this stuff.  With my other lenses,
the curvature is both less and moves towards the camera, it seems.  Could
this be caused by gravitational differences between Germany and Japan?

I'd be happy if this comment tripped a discussion on field curvature, in
general.

Do any of our more skillful users consider the field curvature
characteristics of their lenses in day to day use?  It strikes me that
knowing where the field will be with a wide open wide angle lens could make
for interesting photography.

Regards

Rick Dykstra