Subject: Re: [Leica] zones
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 15:13:05 GMT

Ted, you are correct about using the zone system for PJ applications,
particularly regarding the initial exposure. Time is of the essence in most
PJ shooting.

It should be noted however that the most important part of the Zone system
is "pre-visualization".  I think most good PJ's and nearly all decent "rock
and fern" guys would agree that they have some kind of image in mind when
they push the shutter button.

Actually getting that visualized image onto paper becomes a matter of
sensitometry once you have shot the neg.

Adams felt that a fundamental understanding of sensitometry was imperative
for the beginner, and important for the experienced user.  I think many
photographers use a scatter shot approach to their printing.  Producing
prints over and over until they get what they want.  It is unfortunate,
since they could have reduced their time expenditure tremendously by knowing
the response characteristics of their equipment and materials.

Experienced users "automatically" employ an internal "Zone system".  It is a
natural response to years of practice.  (I have seen your photos and you
sure as hell know how to print!)  For beginners Zone system fundamentals can
really make a difference in the quality of their prints, and their
understanding of the responses of photo materials.  They need all the early
success they can get, and I believe this system can help.

As for the "rock and fern" guys going 4x5...Well, just imagine if nobody had
pushed the limits of smaller formats in the 30's...We might still be using
120 film TLR's....Auto focus of couse:)

Best Wishes
Dan States