Subject: Re: [Leica] B(ulb)
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 16:37:23 -0800

I believe that the "B" on the shutter speed dial does stand for bulb.  Back in
the olden days, good shutters would have a "T" setting for time exposures and
a "B" setting for bulb exposures.  The "T" setting would require that the
shutter release be pressed once to open the shutter and again to close the
shutter.  This setting would be used for longer time exposures.  For shorter
exposures, a "B" setting was used.  Rather than a cable release, the
photographer would have a squeeze bulb and tubing connected to the shutter
mechanism.  Pressing and holding the bulb would cause the shutter to open due
to the air pressure and releasing the bulb would allow the shutter to close.
I believe that you can still buy bulbs and tubing to use on the shutter
release.  (wire cable has some disadvantages in that it is not flexible like
air tubing --- also, you get very little camera movement when using air as
opposed to the modern, locking, cable releases).

At least that was the way that it was explained to me.

Regards, Bill