Subject: Re: [Leica] in defense of spinning the ring....
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 16:58:26 -0800

Kyle Cassidy wrote:

>my m6 isn't fortunate enought to be a TTL model and on several occasions
>i've "spun the ring" while taking flash photos to make sure i have one
>with the proper exposure. i learned this after I #$%#%$ed up some Very
>Important Shots by miscalculating and got a very dim (and grim) result.>>>>>

Kyle my friend,

Here's your new millinennium answer to "twinkie lighting!: :)  Forget it
with an M6!. :)  Basically if you can see it, you can shoot it! After all
you're using a Leica and it's synonomous with available existing light and
great photographs.:)

I'm assuming you're talking about using that "flash thing" indoors under
dire lighting conditions. Then of course at times one needs to use some
kind of auxillary lighting. However, an M6 can be used and capture the
finest of pictures under the most amazing non-light situations.

If you can see your subject and obviously not trying to shoot 100 film
under what one might call normal in house or office lighting, you should be
able to do extremely well with one of the 400 asa films.

Actually the films and developers on the market today allow you to rate
film at 800 and have excellent prints up to 11X14. I'm talking B&W here. If
you're shooting colour neg then Fuji 800 is an excellent choice. Quite an
amazing film under many low light conditions.

<<<<I'll shoot at what I suspect the proper exposure is, but i'll also
toggle through all the other f-stops.>>>>>>

This almost sounds like you're not using an automatic setting flash unit?
Certainly if you have to "suspect what the exposure is" instead of letting
the  flash automatically do it's own thing.

<<<<<<<but i'm only paying $1.38 for a roll of 36 exposure hp5 which i can
easily afford to blow to make sure i have something useable.>>>>>

Good on you for a price like that, but just blowing through frame after
frame isn't quite the answer to successful pictures, when with automatic
flash units of today, you should be able to shoot one frame for each
situation and have a perfect image.

What kind of flash unit are you using?

Anyway maybe you can come back with a little more information, as there are
others who could be helpful, rather than "spinning the ring" with flash.
Which quite frankly must be a terrible annoyance flashing away so many
times.

regards,
ted

Ted Grant