Subject: Re: LUG[Leica] Incident light measurement:
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 21:03:25 -0800

sometime around 12/23/99 9:42 AM, John Collier at jbcollier@home.com was
heard  to write:

> Wow! What a great idea! Let us all pool our resources
> and get Little Eric Welsh an incident meter for Xmas. Then he can play with
> all the other boys and girls too.

Who? Sounds almost like me!

I never said anything mean about anyone using an incident meter. If I did, I
didn't mean it. :-)

What I meant to say is simply this -- I thought of this on the commute to
work this morning --

Saying an incident meter is the same as a reflective meter is the same as
saying men and women are the same, just the plumbing is different. Or to say
the Leica R and M are the same, one just has a different viewfinder than the
other. No duh!

What the heck do some people think words are for? Playing games? No. To
distinguish your head from your @##$%#$%^ for one thing. To say they are the
same is simply playing a word game to make a useless point. Of course they
both read light! That's why the word meter is in there. The "incident" is in
there to distinguish it from the other kind. So to say that word means
nothing is just pure nonsense.

And if someone wants to give me an incident meter, go right ahead! I'll sell
it and buy a polarizer for my Vario Apo. :-)
- --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

Cynicism often masquerades for sophistication in our society, but more often
than not it's merely an indicator of resentment.