Subject: [Leica] incident metering
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 07:56:02 -0500

Martin Howard wrote:
>The spot you're standing in and the spot your shooting are lit by the same
>light source.  The sun."

Sorry Martin I was in a hurry so I failedto explain myself fully - I don't
really have time for the LUG but I can't resist:)  My comment was
incomplete. My landscape photography is usually in mountainous or at least
hilly areas. I usually choose dawn and dusk. I am often still in the shadow
of one hill or forest whilst photographing an  interstingly lit distance
scene. I then use the spotmeter in my camera. For quick work when I can't
be bothered to carry a meter I use the in camera meter and compensate based
on my experience. When I am serious and have time I use the incident meter.
After years of practice I  can set the exposure correctly by observation in
anything but unusual lighting situations. I use the meter to confirm. One
of the few benefits of getting older is that i can usually guess right!
Cheers Frank