Subject: [Leica] incident metering
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 07:18:21 -0500

DearLuggers,
sorry if my posts seem disjointed but I guess it is caused by subscibing to
the digest and being in Europe, the timing gets all messed up.

I forgot to include this:-

There is one special case where the benefit of incident metering is
obviously inappropriate. This is landscape photography. It is frequently
the case that the incident light at the camera position is different than
that playing on the distant subject. In the absence of a helicopter to pop
over and do a measurement on a distant mountain side, reflected metering is
the only choice. It was my (possibly incorrect) understanding that the zone
system was devised for precisely this reason. The zone system can and is
used effectively for other things as well now, but is not actually
necessary when the light intensity impinging on the subject can be directly
measured.

Cheers Frank