Subject: Re: [Leica] Why not Slik carbon?
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 22:45:37 -0800

From: Jean-Claude Berger <jcberger@jcberger.com>
> The problem with Gitzo is they have a magic formula to make extremely
rigid
> tripods. I always hated to use them because of the rings (collars?) they
use to
> lock legs but I must say I have to see other tripods as stable and sturdy.
For a
> given weight, nothing beats Gitzo.  For tripods, they are what Leica is
for
> cameras. You will cry after your money when you buy them, will hate their
> ergonomy but you would not change the results for anything else :-).

I concur.  When I bought my Gitzo, I was comparing it against offerings from
Mamiya and Velbon.  My 1227 was by far appeared to be the most rigid model,
for the given weight.  Instead of Gitzo head, I use a Leitz ball head which
I think is a fine combination, even though there is no quick-release.