Subject: Re: [Leica] incidently
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 08:03:37 -0800

Bob (has to keep it simple) McEowen wrote: in part.

>FWIW, I'm a "meat-ball" photographer -- primarily a documentarian. I keep my
>metering pretty simple.>>>>>>>

<<<<<The incident meter puts me where I want to be quickly and reliably.
WIth that done I can put the meter away and go back to watching and waiting
and making pictures.>>>>>>

Hey (keep it simple) Bob my man!  :)

Love it, as it's as "Keep it simple!" as one can get. Some folks just have
to screw around metering here, there and everywhere while gorgeous images
are flitting away before them.

There isn't any question, incident is quick, correct and 99.99999% will
give you excellent exposures. Sure some frames need a tweakie, but most of
the time that is a personal "fiddling thing" and not necessary on every
exposure or for everybody.

I've watched a bunch of professional photographers metering several
sections within a scene and then discuss their exposures with others doing
the same thing, merely creating great confusion because one guy's meter
gives him 1/2 stop more or less than three others.

Then it's , "hey what asa are you using? Where did you get that exposure,
how did you get that much difference?" Total confusion! And great doubt
created in their equipment.

One! Never compare with another photographer's exposure...it'll screw you
up completely as rarely are they alike. Confusion, doubt and worry sets in.
You're accustomed to doing your own thing with metering, so why confuse the
issue by listening to others and what they've done?

I just watch and smile, look through my Leica, little redlights come on,
SHOOT! It works. Or if in doubt, rarely with a Leica, take one quick
incident reading and that's it and each time the exposures are right on the
mark, colour or B&W.

What don't folks understand in KISS, "keeping it simple stupid?" Simply
have a nice exposure!:)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant