Subject: [Leica] Summilux 75/1.4 / detachable hood
From: Lutz Konermann <lutzkonermann@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 06:33:32 -0500

Hi fellows,

I just recently found a summilux 1.4/75 at a very reasonable price. It's
a beast to master but a terrific performer (if you want to see some of my
first shots go http://www.konermann.net/rigi.html).

Since it's a first series' I had a close look at the detachable hood,
which is o.k. but bulky when on and likely to get lost when taken off for
transport. It is attached by a quite rudimentary form of bayonet mount,
with the two metal pins sticking out of the barrel. Now, I was wondering
if any of you has tried before to adapt the hood by carefully prolonging
the bayonet guide carving (sorry for my English...;-) in the plastic hood
all the way to the frontmost side, in order to make the hood attachable
the other way round. Such as the Summicron 50/2.0 hood, for instance...?!

I know that some of you won't like the idea of touching your equipment
with anything but your hands or a soft cloth... but may-be somebody dared
to and might report on such a kind of surgery? By merely looking at the
parts I don't see any obstacle: the hood should slide and lock just if it
was upright and the cap should fit on top as well.

Thanx for your feedback,
Lutz Konermann (the "Never Stop Thinking" Sling Guy)

Leica users, get your SLING!
Read and see @:
http://www.konermann.net/sling.html