Subject: RE: LUG[Leica] Re: Re: Moon beams
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:12:10 -0800

If it was refraction (*not* diffraction), the moon would subtend a
measurably greater angle.  This change in size would not be an illusion, as
it would be measurable.  This is not the case.  One common reason that is
given for the optical illusion we've all experienced is that when the moon
is close to the horizon it is near familiar objects that give us a sense of
scale.  When it's overhead, divorced from all reference points, our brains
judge its size in relation to all the empty space around it, and it
therefore appears smaller.

Check out
http://facstaff.uww.edu/mccreadd/
for a very complete article on this illusion, along with a theory called
about its cause, which according the Professor Emeritus who wrote the
article, is something called "oculomotor micropsia".

Paul Chefurka