Subject: Re: [Leica] tripod recommendations
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 11:03:55 +0300

Henning J. Wulff wrote:

> The lever locks on the Manfrotto 441 and 440 Carbone (.n.or was that
> Carbonara?) that I saw locally were adjustable for wear and tension.
> However, they definitley were not as stable as the Gitzo 1228.

Perhaps what you tried was too loosely adjusted, because the Manfrotto
is amazingly stable and rigid, and in no way (save the 200gr weight
difference) the lesser of the Gitzo's.

> I was not impressed by the Manfrottos.

I was, and I bought one almost straight away. I've handled Gitzo's and
they never quite convinced me as the thing for *me* to have and use. The
Gitzo metal parts do look very smart, of course. It's the Gitzo leg
locks that I can't live with.

Bernard.