Subject: [Leica] 90mm Elmarit/Summicron Quandry
From: Roger Underwood <roger.aru@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:52:30 +0000

Hi luggers,

Just looking for views on whether to get the new APO f2/90 Summicron
or the f2.8 /90 Elmarit when I buy my new lens for my M6 next month.

I don't expect to use the extra stop all that often, except possibly
for the reduced depth of field.  The weight advantage of the Elmarit
is also in its favour as I expect to use the 90mm out and about.
Another factor, small but difficult to ignore, is that I can get it
in silver chrome to match my Leica.  I'm also wary about buying a
relatively new product.  The reported stiffness after pressing the
Summicron's focusing ring is a bit off-putting.

The main question is which is the better lens?  Does the the
Summicron as a later lens offer better resolution and contrast at 2.8
than the Elmarit?  From reading Erwin's test this would appear to be
so.  But would it be so apparent in practise that I need to bring it
into account.  I should say that I will be using the lens for
enlargements up to 20 x 16.

Comments would be welcome.

Regards

Roger Underwood