Subject: LUG[Leica] Extreme Low Light Color --> Mr Puts
From: Tosh <toshtanaka@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 20:59:20 -0800

Hi.. in regard to the EI 800 pushed...
    I've been doing some tests for about two years now... mostly with Kodak with some
Fuji for comparison...

    Grain at pushed speeds depends on your treatment of the film.. exposure and
processing time.

    I have found much success at EI2000 and pushed 2 stops in processor (Hope
C-0508V, Kodak C-41 chems)... times in dev as follows:

                        +1 Stops---> 262 sec.
                        +2 Stops---> 363 sec.

    At higher speeds the film will tend to lose some actuance... and will react
adversely under fluorescent and incandecent light... but that's where we like to
shoot it, right?... so... I've been using the Ektamax B/W paper in our RA machine
with favorable results... Although it isn't a 'true' black and white paper or
process, it uses all of the information on the neg to turn colors into tones. This
also works with Panalure, tray process B/W paper balanced for CLR negs. (neither
offer extensive tonal control over +/- 1 to 1 1/2 grades contrast)

   I have also color corrected for the red/yellow shift under incand. with marginal
results at EI2000.. better results at EI1200 (not 1600). Same results from
fluorescent.

    Please keep in mind that OVER exposure and slight OVER development of CLR Neg.
helps to control grain.. as the exposure/dev helps blend the dye together while
dropping out silver, thus reducing grain.

    As for scans:

    Pushed EI2000 and EI1200 may show a green cast in shadow areas. This may be
compensated for in PS by despeckling the Green layer or by curving out the green
layer, thus reducing the green. Color balancing should be done with as much care as
possible as to not remove any information from the file: such as using Levels or
slight curve adjustments to each layer and not the color balance tool.

    Desaturating the green is another option, selection of the offending green
portions of the photo and desaturating  using Hue/Saturation or Selective color.
Selective color will give more control over the amount of total colors in once
channel (RGB or CYMK) thus may give a more natural looking color balance beyond basic
Levels and Curves.

    The key is exposure and development... it may be difficult to find custom labs
willing to process at certain times or temps.. but you can still control the exposure
if you're going to scan or print at home... so get friendly with some lab rats and
expose according to the best results from their +1 or +2 development times.. you may
only realistically get +1 1/2 or +1 development from a commercial lab... results may
vary.... or better yet.. buddy up with PJ type w/' access to C-41 custom processing!

hope this helps!!!

Tosh from Mod Bee