Subject: Re: LUG[Leica] Re: Value of Popular Photography
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 08:18:13 -0800

sometime around 12/18/99 6:11 PM, Jim Bielecki at bieleckj@freeway.net was
heard  to write:

> Popular Photography tested the Canon 35mm F1.4 lens in their December issue.
> Using the same SQF criteria, they found the Canon to be virtually equal to
> the Leica 35mm F1.4 (some apertures were a bit better, some were a bit
> worse).  Both are undoubtedly top-notch lenses.

Now, if their SQF criterion mean anything in terms of reality, it's
something we can be impressed about. But I have yet to see any proof their
test of SQF prove anything. Maybe it does. And Canon has been always nipping
at Leica's heels when it comes to 35mm lenses. Their EF 35mm f/2 is an
outstanding lens. Right behind the ASPH and the Summilux R. But remember, it
costs $1,600. A lot more expensive than their one stop less lens, compared
to the difference between the Summilux and Summicron ASPH lenses.

- --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

"You can't cajole someone into loving you by simply being nice to be
around." - Garrison Keillor - As heard on "A Prairie Home Companion"