Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Exposing slide film at night
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 07:58:28 -0800

George Huczek wrote:

<<<<<<The nice thing about bracketing for the shots you plan to take, is that
>often the "correct" exposure is not the most pleasing.  With Christmas
>lights at night, you may prefer a shot that's  1/2, 1, 1 1/2 or 2 stops
>over or underexposed.  Put them all up on the light table and look at them
>together, and you may find several that appeal, for different reasons.
>   I don't care if I get flamed for this.  Go with bracketing in this
>situation.  I don't bracket all the time, but in situations like this it is
>a good way to be sure that you will come home with something good. >>>>>

Hi George,

No need for anyone to flame you for suggesting bracketing under Christmas
tree lighting. Quite frankly anyone shooting this type of situation and not
bracketing is a fool at best!

You're quite right that the initial decision is made on the light table,
followed by a screening for final cut. Even then we take the finals back to
the light table usually making the "final final final" at that point.

The reason for this? They are all lying beside each other and the loupe can
be moved back and forth quickly for comparison.

You can also stand back and eye ball a bunch of them all at the same time.
If you haven't done this it's an interesting exercise in colour selection.
Then if there is major discussion ...that's "arguing" :) we go back to the
screen!

But to shoot transparency film in questionable lighting situations and not
to bracket is very foolish, simply because a frame 2 or 3 stops "under or
over exposed" can be a mind blowing image, which you can't tell until
you're comparing them on the light table.

The other side of course is that without comparison, each or most, appear
very nice and the shoot can look successful. But with bracketing/comparison
it can become magnificently successful! :)

And who wants to wait a year to do a reshoot! :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant