Subject: ERROR CORRECTION Re: [Leica] Focusing difficulties
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 23:17:16 -0800

Ok, I goofed.

The eyepiece in a pentaprism finder does indeed have a magnification of
about 4-5x, however, the "magnification" does a comparison at a viewing
distance of 25cm or so (I am afraid I forgot the exact figure.  I will have
to look it up.)  In effect, because the eye would be much closer to than
that to the focussing, so the effective rangefinder base length is only the
focal length of the lens times 0.18 times 2.  So the effective base length
with a 50mm lens is about 18mm or so, hardly accurate enough for a fast
lens.

For my Nikon F3T camera, I maintain a collection of focussing screens for
different purposes: the type E, a groundglass with a grid is what I use most
often.  For available light, I use G2 which is microprism throughout, though
much coarser than SL.  I occasionally use type R which is similar to type E,
but with a split image prism in the middle.  Nikon cautions that the prism
on this screen looks at even narrower points, so it advises against using
for a lens faster than f2.8.

From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>