Subject: [Leica] Re: LUGjim marshall
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 14:48:42 -0800

sometime around 12/18/99 2:17 PM, GERALD HAUSSLER at GHAUSSLE@email.usps.gov
was heard  to write:

> ...is this because the current day promoters make the shooters
> sign a form indicating that they will not use their work for
> personal gain ?

No, it's just that they've put money ahead of being real, and so they don't
want photographers hanging around taking pictures that might harm their
profitability - like the photos of Janis Joplin. Well, I guess it's a little
of both. They want to control what they can control, and the magazines are
to whimpy to say "No, do it our way, or lose publicity." If all
photographerrs stuck together, they couldn't do it either. But photographers
are too eager to undercut each other to see the long-term benefit of it.

Such is the business.

- --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

"You can't cajole someone into loving you by simply being nice to be
around." - Garrison Keillor - As heard on "A Prairie Home Companion"