Subject: [Leica] re: Domke F5 Bag
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 23:26:52 -0800

>I looked at an F5 bag a few months ago.  It didn't appeal to me.  It seemed
>to lack interior padding, and the flaps seemed flopsy.  I'd like to know
>what it is about that bag that some find appealing.  If anyone has _used_
>one, what is it like fully loaded when one expects to do some walking.

The Domke F5 is a rather unusual bag in the line. It's not the most
convenient to get in and out of and is rather smallish. However, that
said, I've been using mine since about '93 and it's proven to be quite
serviceable and carries a lot. A typical kit carried in the F5:

Leica M body with 35 mounted
90, 15 mm lenses (plus 15mm finder)
cell phone
orange filter
Palm V
4 rolls of film
small auto flash unit
  about 6lbs total

Another typical kit:

Nikon FM/FE body with MD-12 motor and 50/1.8E lens mounted
70-300/4-5.6 lens
20/3.5 lens
4 rolls of film
lenshoods for 50 and 20
orange filter
Palm V
  about 7 lbs total

The big floppy flap keeps rain out when the zipper is left open. I'd
never use it on a belt, but the shoulder strap is quite comfortable and
the belt loop can keep it secure against the body.

The canvas itself has enough thickness to protect against minor bumps and
bruises, the main compartment is foam lined on bottom, front and back.
I've never had anything get damaged in it while traveling, and it's been
with me on many a trip via planes, trains, auto and motorcycle in the US,
UK and Europe.

Nowadays, I'm tending to use the F6x more of the time for the full kits
and reserve the F5 for simpler needs, like carrying just camera, one lens
and film. I'm wanting an F803 too, for when I want to carry a bit more
gear and would like something more compact than the F6x.

Godfrey