Subject: Re: [Leica] Peter/Leica/Bessa
From: "dwpost" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:45:10 -0500

Bob-
Geez-Louise! I wish I had your connections to all these WONDERFUL toys! We
need to TALK!
I have some Leitz SM to M adapters- I think we need to try it on the M3 (or
an M6?) as well!

BTW- I agree that the best tool for the job should be used regardless of
make or model. The post revealing that W. Eugene Smith used the SRT Minolta
for his Minimata essay drives the point home, at least for me. I have owned
no less than three of the SRT cameras, and to be honest, I never came up
with anything remotely resembling the power and emotive quality of his very
evocative essay.

I have reduced my kit to a few Leicas and a V35 enlarger, and have limited
myself to 35mm simply because I want to try to become competent in at least
one 'mode' before I slough off this mortal coil! Personally, I am forcing my
self to master the 35mm format, and I'll try to stretch the envelope.

I do not, however, disparage anyone who chooses to use a 6x6, 5x7 or 8x10-
whatever brand, if the result is what the photographer is trying to achieve.
I was again shown an example of this when I saw an image, posed, of an
'angel'- it was a very dreamy composition, and I had to admire the
composition and the concept. I was taken aback to learn it was taken with a
re-cycled Polaroid back on a home-made cardboard camera, with a pin-hole
lens!

There is a very big world out there, filled with folks like Ted Grant, Marc
Small, and even the redoubtable "Le Capitaine Francky"- all who have an
unique outlook on life, and whatever they choose to record that outlook, is
fine by me! (Ted, the Nikon 300/2,8 LD on the Leicaflex sounds like an
intriguing combination! How'd you do it, and what were the end results??)

I check in here to see what those few, those happy few, who gather to talk
about their Leicas because I just happened to chose the Leica to try to
record my own view of the world.

Flame me if you want, but I'd rather hear about what you think about when
you photograph, and what you are trying to do! Now, some folks, like George
Luaterstein, produce images that immediately hit you with what they are
trying to say! (green eyed envy, here!). Powerful images of both the grand
scale of nature, and the intimate textures of things most people would walk
over, or pass  by with nary a thought or look!

Having said that, I'll put away my soapbox, and wish one and all a wonderful
holiday season- I am trying to be politically correct doing so between the
Old Norse Christmas and Chanukah, and traditional Christmas, and Kwanzaa! I
hope that you all enjoy good health, the prosperity to get all the Leica
gear your heart may desire, and the love of your families during the next,
final, year of this millennium!

Dan
(This message should be read with a *<|:o}~  Party hat emoticon placed
generously where ever you might feel it's needed!)