Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens choice--sole lens for M6
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 16:09:40 -0500

Here's a hot idea:  Why don't you guys who think you have the one and
only answer go take the photos for Julian so he can go do something
else?  Though I suspect that you might not produce what he's looking
for.  Read on. . . .

A 90?  Sure, if your goal is to make candid portraits (I know, these
photos don't exist, a candid is a candid and a portrait is a
portrait.  But I take candid portraits, so shoot me.).  In that case a
90 Summicron would be dandy.  Did Julian say he wanted to make
portraits of the kiddies?  Did he say that his goal was to "isolate
one or two much smaller subjects from the ongoing chaos."  Must have
missed that. . . .

I take pictures in the classrooms at my son's preschool all the time.
I primarily use a 35 and a 50.  My pictures do not suck.  I use an M,
I shoot black-and-white, I get close, I get involved, the kids forget
about me, and pictures look like they were taken from the heart of the
action (which they were).  Seldom is it my goal to "isolate one or two
much smaller subjects from the ongoing chaos."  Actually the "ongoing
chaos" such as it is, is often an important element of these
pictures.  Parents get to see their kids' day from a kid's-eye view.
Parents LOVE these pictures.

BTW, you might be surprised by how little "chaos" actually exists in a
well-run preschool class.

Any goof with a Canon Rebel and a 28-85 can hang back, stand in a
corner, zoom out to 85, and take pictures that look like they were
taken by some grown-up standing in the corner watching the kids.  What
fun is that?  That just drains the life out of the scene.

Not that I don't use a 75 or a 90 at times.  For portraits, closeups.
For those infrequent occasions where I want to "isolate one or two
much smaller subjects from the ongoing chaos."  But even then I'm
still working no more than five or six feet away from my subject,
usually closer.

As you unquestionably know, if you use a 50 wide open, it will very
effectively "isolate one or two much smaller subjects from the ongoing
chaos." as well.  Even a 35 will let you do that, and in addition you
capture some out-of-focus environment.

I would never want to be limited to a 90 in a preschool classroom.  A
35 is ideal, a 50 is very good, even a 28 can be fun, because then all
kinds of things happen in the frame.  But a 90?  C'mon, you guys
aren't so rickety that you can't get down on the floor and zoom around
with the kids, are you?

Rob Schneider