Subject: RE: [Leica] Konica HEXAR RF Lenses reviewed in CI #220
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:19:24 -0000

> Eric, BD and all: The rangefinder base and viewfinder window
> of the Hexar RF
> make this camera practically worthless in using faster and
> longer Leica-M
> lenses.

I don't know about you, Andrew, but I have yet to see and touch a Hexar,
much less try it with faster and longer lenses.

The camera is but an updated Minolta CLE without the TTL flash
> option. If Leica were to come out with an identical M body
> many of us would
> be up in arms criticizing the camera.

Speak for yourself. If Leica continued to produce a traditional M, and this
"updated CLE" widened the rangefinder users base, I'd say "Good move!"

> If I had no Leica glass and were a young user I would prefer the
> G2(Zeiss-designed and QC-d lenses) over the Hexar RF.
>
> regards, Andrew Jordan

That's too bad. Because with one you'd be getting an all autofocus, highly
sophisticated P&S with a very limited range of lenses, while with the other
you'd be getting a genuine rangefinder camera that accepts an enormous array
of lenses, many of them among the world's best.