Subject: [Leica] Alternatives (was Photoshop hardware requirements?)
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 06:51:48 -0800

I'd be interested in hearing what experience others have had in finding
substitutes for PS in the pure digital darkroom arena (PC, MAC or unix).

I've just been given a copy of Picture Window Pro 2.5 for my birthday.  The
makes claim it's oriented directly toward advanced amateur photographers.
It has the best spotting tool I've ever found (an "interpolate surrounding
pixels" operation instead of a clone operation as in PS).  And every change
you make produces a new window, so it's easy to compare the effects of an
operation.  OTOH, the display itself isn't as good as PS - the images appear
grainier and coarser.  Another downside is that the colour balance controls
are harder to use, or at least less intuitive than PS.  But for $90 US I
think it's a real bargoon.

Any other thoughts?

Paul Chefurka