Subject: [Leica] Lens choice--sole lens for M6
From: "Julian Koplen" <jkoplen@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:44:25 -0500

- ------=_NextPart_000_0017_01BF46E0.F959E520

I'm not looking for a magic answer here, but maybe for opinions from =
those who have actual first-hand experience as opposed to just reading =
about this stuff.

I am happy with my R8 system, except when it comes to focusing indoors, =
especially with anything wider than my 50mm Summicron-R.=20

Now I have developed the desire to take more indoor photos, many of =
toddlers in their pre-school classes, as well as the usual pictures at =
parties and adult get-togethers.  Some may be with flash, but I also =
want a reasonable amount  of non-flash capability. I would like the =
quiet and mirrorless operation of the RF in the classroom setting.=20

I am willing to buy a used M6 and one lens. Right now, I doubt I can =
stretch for a Noctilux or a 35mm 1.4 ASPH.  I think my most realistic =
choices lie among the 35mm pre-ASPH Summicron, the 50mm Summicron, or =
the 50mm Summilux.  I am omitting the pre-ASPH 35mm Summilux, because I =
have heard that the lens requires an appreciation of its "character" =
rather than its sharpness and clarity, especially at the wider "indoor" =
apertures. I am also "omitting" a switch to the Summilux-R, because of =
more demanding focusing at f1.4, as well as the mirror noise of the R =
system.

So, for my one lens with the M6, what's my best choice?  Is the 50mm =
Summilux good enough at apertures smaller than f1.4 to compete with the =
two Summicrons, which enjoy such a fine reputation?  Or am I missing the =
boat by some of my rejected choices noted above?

Thanks for any insights from real users of these various lenses/cameras =
under similar conditions.

Julian

- ------=_NextPart_000_0017_01BF46E0.F959E520

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm not&nbsp;looking for a magic answer =
here, but=20
maybe for opinions from those who have actual first-hand experience as =
opposed=20
to just reading about this stuff.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am happy with my R8 system, except =
when it comes=20
to focusing indoors, especially with anything wider than&nbsp;my 50mm=20
Summicron-R. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now I have developed the desire to take =
more indoor=20
photos, many of toddlers in their pre-school classes, as well as the =
usual=20
pictures at parties and adult get-togethers.&nbsp; Some may be with =
flash, but I=20
also want a reasonable amount&nbsp; of non-flash capability. I would =
like the=20
quiet and&nbsp;mirrorless operation of the RF in the classroom setting.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am willing to buy a used M6 and one =
lens. Right=20
now, I doubt I can stretch for a Noctilux or a 35mm 1.4 ASPH.&nbsp; I =
think my=20
most realistic choices lie among the 35mm pre-ASPH Summicron, the 50mm=20
Summicron, or the 50mm Summilux.&nbsp; I am omitting the pre-ASPH 35mm =
Summilux,=20
because I have heard that the lens requires an appreciation of its =
"character"=20
rather than its sharpness and clarity, especially at the wider "indoor"=20
apertures. I am also "omitting" a switch to the Summilux-R, because of =
more=20
demanding focusing at f1.4, as well as the mirror noise of the R=20
system.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So, for my one lens with the M6, what's =
my best=20
choice?&nbsp; Is the 50mm Summilux good enough at apertures smaller than =
f1.4 to=20
compete with the two Summicrons, which enjoy such a fine =
reputation?&nbsp; Or am=20
I missing the boat by some of my rejected choices noted =
above?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for any insights from real users =
of these=20
various lenses/cameras under similar conditions.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Julian</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0017_01BF46E0.F959E520--