Subject: Re: [Leica] Konica HEXAR RF Lenses reviewed in CI #220
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:36:38 -0600

> Eric...Screw the lenses...To paraphrase James Carville, "It's the body,
> stupid!" :-) If one already has the Leica glass, and M bodies, IF the Konica
> body proves to be hardy and as described, doesn't it in fact provide most of
> the modern amenities for those times you might want them - without anyone's
> having to muck around the with the proven perfection of the M line?

B. D.

But my point is it doesn't work as well with 1.4 lenses. What good is it if
it can't do what a Leica can do in Leica conditions?
<<<<<<<<<<

I don't beleive anyone knows yet what the Konica can do with f/1.4 lenses.
To the best of my knowledge, nobody has yet tried it and reported the
results.

Besides, another key advantage of rangefinders is their greater accuracy
with wide angle lenses. Yet many of us eyeglass wearers find a .72 M6
finder unuseable with anything wider than a 35 mm lens, and the .85 M6
finder unuseable with anything wider than a 50 (I'll not use accessory
finders; to me, those only make an M6 bigger, bulkier, slower in use and
less convenient than my SLR). If the full Konica finder can be used to
approximate the view of a 24 mm lens and can be fully seen by an eyeglass
wearer as myself, frankly I'd find it a Godsend.

If. I've neither seen nor tried the Konica. And until I do I'm not ready to
proclaim it either a wide angle Godsend or an f/1.4 failure.

Larry