Subject: RE: [Leica] franck street pictures
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:13:17 -0000

Franck, or should we say Mnsr Capitaine? ;-)

I enjoyed several of the pictures, I think my favourite was the picture of
the frame through which we saw a couple inside a shop? It has the ambiguity
of wondering whether we are looking at a mirror and seeing a reflection,
but eventually we can read the rest of the interior from the surroundings
and get our bearings. The syntax with the genuine mirror shot would make
that a fun pairing.
Let me congratulate you for taking up street photography and the picturing
of people, a most challenging and brave thing to do and fully coincident
with the genre of Leica photography. Though the street photos leave me
feeling mostly that these have been grabbed shots which are not quite brave
enough. We do not see enough close eye contact. When we are close to people
we see that they are obviously unaware of the camera because their face is
missing or looking away or in another direction, this has the effect of
diminishing a conncetion betweeen the viewer and the subject.
But having said that you have created a body of work and displayed it, that
in itself is admirable and to be applauded, well done.
When I eventually put up my work on the internet, I hope you will be frank
with me!

best regards,
Jem