Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Breakfast in Bavaria
From: "Peter Volle" <vidom@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:15:19 GMT

Hello Frank,

I don't think there is a special word for that in German. We call the thing
you've described "Tischabfalleimer" or "Tischabfallbehaelter", which means
"tiny repository for table scraps" in English. Was that the word you were
looking for? By the way, this is not a Bavarian speciality, you'd find that
everywhere in Germany.

Peter Volle

>Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 22:02:40 -0800
>From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
>Subject: [Leica] OT: Breakfast in Bavaria
>
>My wife and I are going nuts.  I am hoping that some of our LUG friends in
>Germany can help.
>
>When in the Bavarian area, there is a quaint breakfast custom.  On the
>table, for breakfast only, is a small empty container.  It is about 4-6
>inches in diameter, and about 6-10 inches tall.  It can be made from
>ceramic, plastic or metal.  The custom is to place all the butter papers,
>cheese rinds, wurst casings, etc. into this small container.   It is
>essentially a tiny repository for the scraps from the table.  It is not
>used
>for lunch or dinner.
>
>Can any one help us with the name of this item?  Fruhstuck....   something
>or other.......
>We have been trying for 2 years to remember, without luck.
>
>Thanks a lot....
>
>Frank Filippone
>red735i@earthlink.net

end