Subject: RE: [Leica] M3 or IIIg
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:55:57 -0500

Eric,

Screw mount lenses are cheap.  Unless the lens is a collector, the useful
lenses will be no more than $300-400, usually less.  However, no fast lenses
other than the 50mm f1.5.  You'll have to make do with f3.5 or f4 for the 35
and 90s.  The IIIg is a very expensive SM camera and a pretty one will cost
more than an M3.

If you are going to use the camera, any SM is very pleasant to use.  I enjoy
using my IIIa even more than using my M6.  The separate view and focus takes
some getting used to however.  The big plus for an SM is weight and size.
My IIIa goes easily in a pants pocket and a IIIa with three lenses fits into
the smallest of fannypacks.  A few minor things about SM cameras:  they are
harder to use with gloves on than my M6, knob wind isn't all that bad,
especially if you are left-eyed like me and have to bring the camera from
your face to wind anyway, the non-modern f stops drive me bonkers (f18,
f6.3!!!).

Jonathan Lee