Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: stainless steel reels (was: Xtol dilution)
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 07:03:06 EST

Byron....I agree with you about the Hewes reels.  They make loading 35mm a
very easy process.  I have recently switched to Kinderman tanks and have
found that the lids fit very tight, pour in/out quickly and don't leak.  I
have tried to like the plastic but just can't get attached to it.

Bob

<< > I have had better luck with plastic Yankee tanks and have not had this
 > problem.
 >
 > What was I doing wrong?

 Roland,

 I've had great experiences with Hewes stainless-steel reels. They are
 marketed under various labels in the US, but they are stamped on the
 side with something like "Hewes -- made in England".

 There are two teeth which catch the sprocket holes of 35mm film. It
 seems foolproof to me, as one cause of misloading seems to me to be
 misalignment of the film against the catch in the reel. With the Hewes
 reel you are either right on or a whole sprocket hole off, which is a
 big difference and easy to feel in the darkroom.

 I also use Hewes reels for 120, and I find that the spring-loaded catch
 (no sprocket holes on 120!) is of higher quality than on some of the
 other reels you might see.

 Anyway, I loaded several hundred rolls in the last year without a single
 mishap. The stupidest thing I did this year was to open a loaded tank
 with the lights on, but that's another story...

 Byron. >>