Subject: Re: [Leica] 81B Filter Questions
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 22:47:37 -0800

Randy Holst wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I often use an 81B filter when shooting transparency film under
> cloudy/shady conditions with my Nikons and have a Hoya HMC (multicoated)
> filter for that purpose.  I'd like to find a multicoated 81B filter to
> use on my 35/f2 Summicron-M (E-39), but none of the manufacturers I've
> checked (B&W, Tiffen, Hoya) list a multicoated 81B in that size.
>
> 1.  Is there such a thing as a multicoated E-39 size 81B filter?
>
> 2.  Do I even need "multicoating" on a warming filter.
>
> Randy Holst
> Boise, Idaho

http://www.2filter.com/prices/BWfilters.html
B+W will make any filter multicoated (and it will say MC on the side but you
need to special order it and wait a month of two to get it).
I'd call it an admirable quest. Personally I think the 81A is plenty warm for
modern films typical needs if that.
Mark Rabiner
The fellow above will set you up.
I believe the 81A,B,C,D are in 100 K warming increments but other filter
companies call theirs other names like CR, or WM so you can get the equivalent
filter as that company makes it. B+W has I think both the 81 series but then
it's own delineation which might be more extensive.