Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W Scanning
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 12:20:51 -0800

Film and processing does make a difference, but almost any B&W film can
scan well. I use XP2 as well as Tri-X, Plus-X, Delta 100/400, Agfa
25/100, TMax 100/400 and T400CN ... all depends what I have at hand. I
use HC-110, XTOL, and Rodinal. Mix and match them for grain structure and
speed. I've gotten good (and bad!) results with all of them.

If the negative is good, you can make a good scan. If it isn't, you're
hosed.

>What do you use to scan B/W? I have to get myself a filmscanner but god
>knows which one...

I bought my scanner just days after the Nikon LS2000 was released. I
tested it with a couple of my slides, color neg and B&W negs against the
Polaroid Sprintscan 35, and liked the Polaroid better. The software was
easier to use and it seemed to be easier to get what I wanted,
particularly from the B&W negs. A lot has happened since '96, but I'm
still enjoying the results with the same Polaroid scanner.

I wish I could get an APS attachment for the Polaroid, though.

Godfrey