Subject: Re: [Leica] M6TTL Flash Probs ??
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:01:52 -0700

Popular Photography had an article about old flashes on new cameras a few
months back (vary good reading for us luddites). In older mechanical cameras
such as the Leica Ms, there was direct linkage to a mechanical operated
electrical switch. Now that they have given us the TTL we have all been
screaming for, the flash is controlled by an electronic circuit. Older flash
units can develop a voltage as high as 250 volts across their sync contacts.
This is simply too high for the circuitry to handle. Many other cameras are
exactly the same and can even be permenantly damaged by hooking up an older
flash. I recommend reading the article as it discusses this issue at length
and shows you how to check your old flashes. It also recommends various
adapter "boxes" to lower the sync voltage.