Subject: [Leica] OT? A Nice Day
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 18:17:13 EST

Hello All,

A few words about how I spent today.  I taught a one day photo class to about
20 10 and 11 year olds at our local middle school.  We converted a washroom
into a temporary darkroom for the day. These were all children with learning
disabilities of one kind or another, ranging from very mild to fairly severe.
 Many of them have trouble with fine motor activities.  They tend to have low
self esteem and think that they can't succeed at art projects among other
things.  They were pulled out of their usual classes for the day, and before
this many of them didn't know each other well.  They didn't know what to
expect before they got to the darkroom, and a few were a bit apprehensive and
nervous.

We spent the day doing photograms using objects I brought from home.
Everything from lace and shells to plastic monsters.  It has been a long time
since I've seen people get so excited about photos they were creating.  They
were all oohing and aahing as the prints came up in the developer.  They
spontaneously discussed among themselves how to do the next image, what
materials to use, and how to arrange them.  All I had to do was get them
started and they took it from there.  It was wonderful to work with these
children.  They were noncompetitive, friendly, and very helpful to each
other.  Compliments flew back and forth all day!  Many of the kids asked
pertinent questions and were really curious about what was happening and why.

As I was leaving the  building one of the teachers told me that all the
children in the school were talking about the class- that sure made me feel
good.  I'll be dry mounting the photos this week, and then hanging them in
the lobby of the school.  We are going to have an opening party, grape juice
and cheese maybe?

Today was a good day,
Richard Wasserman