Subject: Re: [Leica] a few Leica announcements
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:53:31 EST

<<

So... this new body: is it black paint over lovely brass, the way it's

meant to be?

That is a good question. I'll try to find out. I don't see anything on it
here, but I will reproduce their description below:

- -All outside metal parts are in black paint finish with the exception of the
release button (matt silver finish) release plate (high polished silver
chrome) and the base plate opening knob (matte silver )
- -The advance lever and rewind knob is like the M3 rewind knob and is made of
metal
- -The top plate is engraved on the top with the Leica script logo.
- -The regular Leica M6 engraving has been eliminated from the front of the
camera.
- -The film counter disc is black with white numbers.
- -The back plate is also in the black paint finsih.
- -The carrying lugs are also black paint
- -The serial number is engraved in fron of the accessory shoe like the M3
(M6xxxxxxx) and runs from 2,5000,001 to 2,502,000.
- -A special number is displayed on the hot shoe and runs from 0001-2000.
- -The base plate is engraved "open close" along with an arrow on axle (like M3)
- -The packaging is similiar to the M3 packaging.

It sounds pretty nice to me even if it isn't brass. Still, who can resist
those brassy edges? <g> Dont' get me wrong, I am not either "for" or
"against" black paint cameras or any particular method of applying the
paint...I'm just passing on the news that I received.

Why is it $700 more? Well, I guess for the same reason that a black M2, M3 or
M4 is more than a chrome one, right? Less made, more exclusive. Why is an MP
worth $20,250? Sometimes, value is in the eye of the beholder. ;-)

This is not the LHSA model, it is a seperate Leica special edition model. I
think the LHSA is still considering doing their black paint model, but last I
heard they didn't like the paint... Maybe Bill R. is on-line?

later,
Rich