Subject: RE: [Leica] M6 meter
From: "Eno" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 23:18:47 -0500

I won't speak for Ted of course, but I disagree.  Definitely fair to say but
exposure nirvana (fun!) is something you achieve much later, after the shot
is taken.  Or you then confirm it.  I almost always shoot with quick even
arrows, all slow slides - contrasty, and when I hit that 'exposure'
satisfaction level I'm...satisfied for sure but I can rarely attribute any
metering techniques that justify the outcome.  I know it happens enough that
it's not pure chance, but a meter that's just 'good enough' stop kvetching
and shoot...
Then I've spent much time on a shot, back ache, and so on and tried hard and
then was disappointed - a waste of time and frustrating.  If I were to
pursue the latter I think it would amount to less satisfaction in terms of
results.
In any case one should do the former (just adjust) whenever possible.
Animated subjects don't really make a difference.

as a side note:
I haven't shot anyone in a while (please don't snip here).  "I'm documenting
the human condition".  Ohh... I am lucky to be in that position.  What I
should do is when I take a picture of a stranger who looks annoyed I should
'at least' offer him the camera so that I can be part of such an important
analysis too.  "The photographer should be invisible"  yeah for the
audience.  Otherwise wear that amendment flag in case you come across as
personally offensive.  Most likely people running to take people pictures  -
with all serious intent - look like an ass making an ass out of himself.

<<<

Come on, Ted. Wouldn't it be fair to say that, if yoy're seeking exposure
nirvana, a hand-held meter is always the tool to use. But if you want to get
photographs in real life - i.e., of animate objects - just adjust for the
red light and shoot? :-)

B.D.