Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 meter
From: "Eno" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:13:01 -0500

You Wrote:

<<<Oh deity of my choice, prepare me for the slings of flame to come. Every
year or so I get the same overpowering urge to get an M6. I guess some of us
never learn. Oh evolution, where is thy sting? So I toddle off to my local
purveyor of all things Leica with funds and my other Leicas in tow. I look
at and handle the camera. Feels great! Unfortunately I try some sample faux
shooting and the goldarn meter drives me crazy. Flashing lights, changing
every time I move the camera an centimetre. I have been using a handheld
meter for so long that I find LED meters to be too distracting. Personally
my big hope for the "new" M body would be a LCD meter display ( much less
distracting). Well, back to my story. Disappointed, again, I put the camera
down and look in the used Leica case. Why there is a 21mm f3.4 with finder
for two thirds the price of this used M6. And my ----- the glass is perfect!
At least it was there, I bought the darn thing. The time before it was a 90
f2.8 and so on. Once a bought a used M4-2, swing out polarizing filter and
table top tripod and head. I still had a enough change for a whole wack of
film. So my advice would be to buy used and burn that brick (of film) for
free.>>>

Your big hope for the new M6 has arrived.  They don't make the .72 nonTTL
anymore so you've waited long enough.  LCD looks nice but doesn't quite give
you the red flag -  Shoot Now!  And you can take the batteries out if you
don't like 'em.  It would seem pointless carrying a meter and disabling the
M6 leds.  Arrows are quick, pointing is very basic - cats won't  but dogs
will follow your pointing somewhere.

  The arrow when right in front like that strips away some intelligence from
the shot and the focus is then on your "will" to shoot.  Fumbling doesn't
assist with this. It's so damn simple!  Some have such a problem with the
idea that one can pick up, e.g. an M6 and be a great photographer.  It's a
fact.  Knowing how to use something doesn't have anything to do with how it
works.Well,  IT DOES, but it need not matter to the one out shooting.  It's
like a musician being denied 'hitting the spot' 'all the time... when it is
found that he cannot read music.  Yeah for photography style A or B one
needs a certain know how.  That's not any sort of universal limitation.  The
AF 100-feature cameras are the tough ones. You must read the manual!  Or a
simple p/s why isn't this a better choice for quick decisions and little
knowledge?  It is but lacking...
eno