Subject: [Leica] 180mm f/3.4 versus 180mm f/2.8
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 20:57:33 -0500

I know that the 180mm f/3.4 APO was developed for military use initially
and that it is optimized for use at infinity.  I also know that it is
reported to be not as good close up.

However, what I don't know, and what I haven't found, is a good comparison
between the 180mm f/3.4 APO and the old, non-APO 180mm f/2.8 lenses.  OK,
so the 3.4 is going to win at infinity.  But who do the lenses compare
otherwise?  Even if the 3.4 isn't as fabulous at shorter range as it is
at infinity, it's still good, right?  It doesn't just turn into a Holga
at 5m, I'm guessing.

Anyone know of a good source of information, for a comparison?

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |    What boots up must come down.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |