Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron Shades & NYC Dealers
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 20:54:24 -0500

I use the "barn-door" shade on my collapsible Summicron. It's thin, light,
and, to my mind at least, does not overwhelmingly obscure the vf. They go
cheap on eBay, in the $20+ range, and they will completely amaze innocent
bystanders.  When I don't think that I'll need a shade, I don't use it.

Chandos

At 04:52 PM 12/5/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Regarding a recent question about New Yawk Photo Dealers, I can certainly
>recommend Tamarkin and also Ken Hansen Photo, which I recently visited for
>the first time:
>   Ken Hansen New York Incorporated     212-317-0923
>   509 Madison Ave (18th Floor)
>   [Madison @ 53rd Street)
>
>Hansen has a lot of Leica equipment, which *used* to include a nice 50mm
>LTM Summicron, now mine.  So, to tag along on another thread regarding lens
>shades for these 50's -- I use the Summicron on a IIIf; to what degree does
>a shade obscure the viewfinder on these cameras?  I played with putting the
>12504 shade from my 35mm M-Summicron on the LTM Summicron -- no way!
>
>I see from browsing eBay that an IROOA shade would seem to be proper, but
>at the going rate of around US$100 for a shade and cap, I'd just as soon
>pass...
>
>And, just to tap yet another thread -- the Summicron on the IIIf IS
>liberating.  I'm thinking of recording my New Year's festivities with the
>IIIf loaded with TMAX 3200 and the Summicron...
>
>Best Holiday Wishes to All
>
>Steve Alred
>Croom, Maryland
>
>PS: The office building housing Hansen Photo is under reconstruction,
>ignore the disarray when you get off the elevator, a Leica fantasy-land
>awaits behind the unassuming wooden door...

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown