Subject: RE: [Leica] M6 meter
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 09:13:59 -0800

B.D. wrote:

>Come on, Ted. Wouldn't it be fair to say that, if yoy're seeking exposure
>nirvana, a hand-held meter is always the tool to use. But if you want to get
>photographs in real life - i.e., of animate objects - just adjust for the
>red light and shoot? :-)>>>>>>

yep, no question! Hand meter if and when there is time to use it.

When I used/use a hand meter, it's always as incident light falling on the
subject and I rarely ever have a wrong exposure.. If it's wrong, it's
because I think I'm smarter than the meter. And that's when the exposure is
screwed! :)

As far as the M6? I find when Im shooting, the metering is so quick and
easy to make correct exposures that rarely do I have any lost.

Yes the meter can be fooled by high lighting in the background, but once
one is experienced in using the M6, a quick compensation can be made simply
by steering the camera away from the hot spots for the exposure reading.

The exposure then stays locked regardless of where you point it after or
what "other lights" are now in the frame. One of the beauties of a manual
camera.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant