Subject: RE: [Leica] OT - Apple comments
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 23:41:56 -0800

>Doesn't this debate belong on the "Bizarre Religious Cults List," rather
>than the LUG?

Some of the people on this list seem to be unable to accept a statement
of facts about anything as just that, not a challenge to their overblown
sense of superiority or a debate to be won at any cost. They must be
right and they will huff and puff and make statements using the most
absurd logic imaginable to construe themselves as being right. They're
the Bizarre Religious Cultists, although I tend to feel the cult is
simply hubris and an overblown sense of self-importance.

I am not religious about computers. I've programmed and worked with every
operating system in common usage (and several which are not) for the past
20 years. Some are a pain in the ass and others are a pleasure. Most get
most of the job done. In point of fact, about 2/3 of the posts I make to
this list are sent using a UNIX host computer, with my Macintosh doing
the job of dumb terminal to connect me to it. I use whatever tools I need
to get the job done. They are tools, not objects of religious
fascination. I use the tools I use because they work well for me. I don't
care what tools you choose as long as you don't complain about them.

I work for Apple Computer. I'm proud of that fact. I've also worked for
Sun Microsystems, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and two independent
software vendors. I've had a hand in producing products for the Macintosh
as well as Windows, DOS, Solaris, Mach and other OSes. I prefer working
for Apple: It's the best computer company in the business to work for in
my opinion. I continue to work there because I feel the products are the
best in the business by my standards, and I love working with the people
I work with to produce them. Your opinions are of no consequence to that
feeling, and I do not debate the matter. The independent testing agencies
in the press, in the marketplace, in the magazines catering to the
competition's products are the ones which rate them the best. Even the
lowly iMac, our least expensive consumer computer, was rated as being in
the topmost few personal computers on the market by PC Magazine. My
company is making great products and I'm participating in that effort. I
hope some of you obtain that kind of satisfaction from your work.

The facts which I reported are the facts, not my opinion. I was
responding to the rather disparaging reference to my employer as being a
"boutique manufacturer." Apple Computer is not a "boutique manufacturer".
And Bill Gates is not a great marketing genius. He hires good people, his
company can afford to, but he doesn't run the company all by himself and
is not the guiding force behind their marketing efforts. He's a cunning
business man, that I'll grant you. And I consider him and his colleagues
unscrupulous thieves and bullies, but that's just my personal opinion. It
seems to be shared by the Justice Department, but what do they know?

Just like cameras, the computers themselves are really of little
consequence. What we do with them is what's important. Who cares that a
photograph is taken by a Leica if it is a poor photograph?

Some tools are more pleasant to work with than others, though. A quality
photograph taken with a Canon EOS-1n is indistinguishable from one taken
with a Leica M6 except for the rarest of cases. Can you tell whether I
typed this note in Netscape Navigator on my Macintosh or in pine on my
UNIX host? No, you cannot, except by examining the SMTP email header for
the originating signature. It's the same concept. But I prefer working
with Leicas over Canons, they allow me to work the way I like to. The
same goes for my computer. In the end, both of them are just tools, but I
feel free to indulge myself with tools that I enjoy using, regardless of
what they cost. If I couldn't afford them I'd use something else because
the work is what's interesting to me.

Now why don't we get back to discussing Leica photography without trying
to let everyone else know how superior we feel because we use Brand X or
Brand Y hammer? It's really of no importance at all. I will not add more
posts to this thread.

Godfrey

BTW: Thank you for the correction on the spelling of Sun Tzu, Peter.