Subject: Re: [Leica] In Search of a Rumor -- 50mm
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 13:44:44 -0700

> "B. D. Colen" wrote:
>>
>> If the new Japanese ASPH 50 1.5 LTM is as good as advertised - which is to
>> say better than the present Summilux with a $750 price tag - would there
>> really be enough of a market for a very slightly better new Leica ASPH
>> lens at three times the price?
>>
> Martin Howard then wrote:

> Of course.  There are always going to be people who will have to have
> "Leica" on their lenses, regardless of what the price is.  Some are
> collectors, who buy the lenses for their collection.  Some are users,
> who are convinced that the extra price for the Leica lens is worth it
> in terms of increased quality.
>
> What Voigtländer will do is capture part of what would otherwise be the
> s/h market.  A number of people (myself included) would serously consider
> buying a new $750 Voigtländer 50/1.5 rather than a secondhand Leica 50/1.4
> Summilux.  But I seriously doubt that it'll have much affect on the sales
> of a new 50/1.4 ASPH Summilux.

When I buy a higher speed 50 (summicron at the present), I will probably
look for either a new or used Leica and not consider other makes for a
number of reasons. I am not a Leica fanatic; I would not know micro-contrast
or bokeh if my life depended on it; and, I do not think that Leica makes a
superior product because they use antiquated production means. The Leica
viewfinder is just the way I like to frame the world. I use Leica Ms for
their viewfinder and mechanical robustness period. I like their lenses but
only for subjective qualities. That is I like them because I like them. I
have used Nikons and loved the 105 f2.5, but the other lenses were just OK.
I on a whim, 15 years ago, bought a M2 with a 50 summicron and just fell in
love with it. I preferred the shots from the Leica over the Nikon. Why? I
don't know. It may be lens quality or perhaps I was approaching the subject
differently because of the viewfinder. I have heard many complaints about
Leica service posted on the LUG but up in Canada (and specifically in
Edmonton), I have had wonderful and friendly service. My forty year old M2
was starting to look a little sad as the vulcanite had started to peel.
Leica Canada had the original shell in stock ($600CAN), which is amazing
enough, but recommended just recovering with a leatherette kit ($150CAN).
Most companies would have tried to "up sell" not "down sell". I have had
some minor problems on my 21f3.4 and 50f2 fixed promptly and correctly the
first time. When I bought a used lens that focussed differently than my
other lens, they quickly narrowed down the culprit ( my 50) and I did not
have to send them my whole outfit to get the problem sorted out. When I
contrast this service to the service I have received from Nikon, whom I was
not sending forty year old product, there is no comparison. "No parts" and
"we cannot test for that" is what I get. That Cosina/Minolta/Whatever lens
or camera looks great now but will it stand the test of time? Will the
manufacturer be there and have parts twenty years from now when it needs
service? Canon, Minolta, Nikon, et all long ago discontinued supporting
their cameras from the 70s never mind the 50s and the 60s(Leica Canada still
services and stocks parts for screwmount cameras for ----- sake). That is
why I am going to spend probably a silly amount more for a Leica lens
because I get that much value and more back.