Subject: Re: [Leica] Cold camera cold film
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 01:26:44 -0500

Ted Grant wrote:

> Hi Carl,
>
> When I used to shoot a fair amount in the arctic, -25 to -50 below using M
> cameras I never had them "winterized" for better lubrication. I just took
> them north and shot away and they worked fine.
>
> I had read at one time that M Leicas' didn't really need to be winterized,
> so I never had it done. Sure things tightened up, as in focusing rings, but
> not stopped "cold!" :)
>
> ted

When I used to shoot daily news I'd use my Canon mechanical cameras down
below zero with no problems or adjustments. Even today I have no
problems with my Hasselblads when they're cold. I've had problems with
later battery-dependent Canons in cold weather, however. The Leicas have
always performed well but I've only used them down to about 10 degrees
(remember those temperatures, Roger?). I have heard of leaf shutters
freezing and binding or breaking and was wondering if anyone on the LUG
has experienced that. I've also heard of film breaking or sprocket holes
stripping because it's so brittle. And I've heard of static marks on
film from using a motor rewind. Anyone have these experiences as well?
Also, can you use long underwear to clean long lenses?

- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/