Subject: Re: [Leica] Cold camera cold film
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:53:22 -0800

Alan Hull wrote:

> Hey
> It is getting cold in Sweden and I have read conflicting advice about
> carrying a camera in cold weather.  One school recommends that I should
> carry the camera under my parka next to my chest to keep it warm and
> the oils fluid.  The other school recommends that I carry the camera
> exposed to the cold to allow the air inside and outside the camera to
> stabilize to avoid condensation on the lens and film.
>
> They both seem good advice.
>
> Up to now I have followed the close to the chest rule but I have just
> received some prints back of the first snowfall.  And they are all
> milky and hazy.  I used an old thread 50mm Summitar and it is the first
> time I have used this lens for colour.  Before I blame the lab or lens
> I would like to find out whether it is flare from the snow or
> condensation fog from my warm(ish) camera.
> TIA
> Alan

I have this red cinematography book by Aaton which goes to great length on these
issues which plage those guys more than us.
Cameras need to be brought to temperature with great care. Slow.
Here in Portland Oregon we have two seasons:
Grey and a little cold and pretty rainy.
Less grey and rainy and not too hot.
The snow you see on the mountain in the distance if you can see that far through
the grey
   or the volcano (when it's cool).
So it's less of an issue.
When I go someplace where there is weather I'll reread it.
Mark Rabiner
ho ho ho