Subject: [Leica] Leica Univ. Polarizer on 90 APO
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:26:52 EST

In a message dated 11/30/99 2:09:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jplaurel@microsoft.com writes:

<< I wish there was a
 way to use the flip polarizer with it, but I expect if they made the flip
 pol large enough to accomodate this lens, it would interefere with the RF.

 --Jim >>

If the 90 APO has the same E55 front mount as the non-APO 90/2 then it is
entirely possible to use the Universal Polarizer on it.  I made an adaptor
using info that was posted on the LUG a long while back.  If you have access
to a bench grinder or a Dreml tool and are handy you can make it yourself for
about $20 or less.  You start with a 55-52 step-down ring, then (using
Loc-Tite) add a narrow 52mm ring from an old filter you've removed the glass
from; then you add a 52mm Cokin "A" adaptor on which the outer flange has
been ground down to the same diameter as the other adaptors for the Univ.
Pola.  (The reason for the 52mm reduction and filter ring is to allow the
retaining screw of the polarizer to engage behind the adaptor flange.  If
anyone is serious about wanting to make one for their 90 Summicron (APO or
otherwise) I can e-mail a picture of mine.

DT