Subject: Re: [Leica] lens caps - keeping them
From: Paul Chefurka <chefurka@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:51:59 -0500

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:49:51 -0500, Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
wrote:

>There is little reason to be worried about the strength of glue when gluing
>two plastic parts together.  Just use a good quality superglue, or double
>compound glue and follow the instructions, and the strongest part of the
>resulting object will be the glue joint.  The rest of the plastic is more
>likely to break first.

Well, actually... I've had a problem with my first pair of glued caps
coming apart.  I used epoxy, and the caps just peeled apart after a
day or two.  The culprits were:  the ridge around the circumference of
the caps which prevented the flat surfaces from mating, and the smooth
surfaces which prevented the epoxy from sticking.

I ground down the backs of the caps with coarse sandpaper to remove
the ridge and give the surface some tooth.  I've had no problems since
then.  I can now hold the lens just by the cap and bang it repeatedly
as hard as I want on the concrete floor of my cell (they only pad the
walls, you know) and all I get is a dented filter mount which is OK by
me  because UV filters are the devil's work (he told me himself) and
I'd never use them anyway because of the little transmitters that send
my images back to Solms and the only thing that stops that is covering
the lens with tinfoil...

Uh, sorry about that, I must have skipped a dose.  At least my rear
elements are well protected now (unlike society at large) :-)

Paul Chefurka