Subject: Re: [Leica] Journalistic principles
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 15:56:10 -0800

At 11:28 AM 11/28/1999 -0800, Bryan Caldwell wrote:
>I'm also as strong a defender of the First Amendment as you will
>find, but many people forget that defendants in criminal cases also have
>Fifth and Sixth Amendment rights that must be balanced against the First
>Amendment rights of the press.

People seem to forget that the press protects them from the government
(i.e. courts) as much as it informs them about what they are doing. To
object to cameras, but not words, is ludicrous. The words are what they end
up yelling about most of the time. Not the pictures. I've had attorneys ask
me for prints while a case is on-going.

And for the record, I do not defend the way TV people act, they are whole
different issue. This is way too complex an issue for this forum, and some
people's attitude is biased by some bad experiences with some bad
photojournalists (note statements are made denigrating the term
photojournalist - a sure sign of a bad argument) that has caused them to
paint us all with a broad brush of unfair accusations. I was part of the
Missouri Supreme court's experiment on cameras in the courtroom. I was
appointed by them to be a part. And we were very successful, with no
complaints on either side of the bar.

THAT really is the last I'll say about it.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

Artist seeks Boss with vision impairment.