Subject: [Leica] Re: 75mm f1.4
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 15:44:25 EST

 I have been using the 75/1,4 since Dec. 1981. The first one I got was a
preproduction version and later it was replaced by a "regular" version. The
first series of the 75/1,4 had a removable hood (similar to the Noctilux hood
and just as scarce and expensive to replace when it cracked or got lost).
After a couple of years Leica replaced it with the current version with an
integrated hood. The design of the 75/1,4 is one of Leitz/Midlands premier
accomplishments. The optical formula is Dr. Mandler's (of Noctilux F/1 fame).
 I have used the Canadian versions of the lens and tried out the German
version, but although it is 40 grams lighter I abstained from trading up (or
down, depends of point of view!) as my current 75/1,4 meets all my needs.
 It is most likely the most difficult of the M-lenses to use. The extremely
narrow depth of field requires a high degree of precise focussing from the
user. The weight of the lens makes it a burden to carry around for extended
periods and ergonomically it is not an ideal design. The focussing ring is
just that far away from the body to force you to 'reach" just a bit longer
and the focussing throw is quite long.
 The first version of the lens used a sliding bar for focussing connection to
the body and this made it difficult to adjust the near focus if it was
needed. The later version (the integrated hood one) uses the rotating cam
principle, common to most of the M-lenses. The latter system makes it
possible to correct focussing by either grinding down the cam or adding to
it, if needed.
 Most of the 75/1,4 that I have used appear to be biased to either a longer
distance focus or for the closer range. It is quite common to have a 75 that
is perfect from 10 feet to infinity but that would "throw" the focus at 6-8
ft distance. Remember that 1" of the focus at 6 feet would move the focus
from the eyeballs of the subject to the tip of the nose and at 1.4 it is a
visible shift. I have dedicated my current lens to an M6 HM and adjusted the
focus to compensate and as luck had it also corresponded to the focussing of
the 90'2 APO-Asph. Two birds with one stone!
 Performance wise the 75/1,4 is stunning. There is something about this lens
that has that indefinable Leica quality that we all chase. The "out of focus"
area or bokeh is silky smooth, the plane of focus wide open looks sharper
than it most likely is. It is the probably the contrast of the drop-off
between the in-focus/out of focus that gives this illusion of "two
dimensional reality" that appeals to me. It is a very subtle lens and it
takes some time to get used to, but ones you know its idiosyncrasies it will
reward you well.
I have always wondered if it is possible to re-mask a M3 finder with a 75
frame proportionately sized to the 0,91 magnification of that finder and
dedicate the lens to a specific camera body and recalibrate the rangefinder
to accommodate both the 50/1, the 75/1,4 and the 90/2 APO-Asph for optimum
performance. It would be a heavy package, but it would be a 'killer" combo!
 Before the 75/1,4 came out in 1981 I had the predecessor, the 85/1,5
Summarex and although this lens was a very good performer for its time
(1940's) it is not as good as the 75/1,4 by a long stretch and it also has
that serious design flaw that mars a lot of the screwmount lenses, the
rotating aperture ring. These "non-parallel" mounts drive me nuts, simply
put! You always have to chase the static mark on the barrel and to read where
the aperture ring indication is, you have to turn the lens and peer at it. I
have tried the fast screwmounts from Canon and Nikon, but however good they
were, this feature always stopped me from keeping them and performance wise
none of them came close to the 75/1,4.
Tom A

Tom Abrahamsson
Vancouver, BC