Subject: Re: [Leica] Pellicle mirrors and the RT
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 09:38:33 -0800

At 10:15 AM 11/28/1999 +0000, Mike Johnston wrote:
>"pre-fire" this, so that the moment of exposure was very quiet. (You
>could also set the camera so that the motor drive wasn't activated until
>you let your finger up on the shutter button, so you could delay the
>winding noise! Never did quite figure out what this would be valuable
>for, but it was kinda neat.)

Mike,

This is something that can be useful if you are trying to minimize sound,
such as shooting in a church service. You can hold the button and drop the
camera down or behind you and then let the film wind. Making it less likely
people will hear, or notice, you shooting. I used to do it with my Leica R4
cameras. I'd have the film advance lever out so the film would not advance.
Drop the camera down and out of sight and then flip the wind lever in, and
the camera would then wind to the next frame. The R8 sort of works like
that, except you have to touch the shutter release before it will wind.

Of course, using the thumb is probably a better choice, but there are times
when you don't want a loose motor or winder taking up space other than on
the bottom of the camera.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

      You can find pictures anywhere. It's simply a matter of noticing
things and organizing them. You just have to care about what's around you
and have a concern with humanity and the human comedy. -Elliott Erwitt,
"More Joy of Photography"