Subject: Re: [Leica] BALI with Leicas...
From: Francis Barista Sembiring <semb0001@tc.umn.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 01:33:17 -0600

- --------------8645C76CFA93CED7A096511F

Hi,

I am glad with Francesco positive view on Kuta Beach and Denpasar.
My comment about Kuta Beach and Denpasar was probably too cautious.
As an Indonesian I just want people to be on the safe side when visiting
my country. Enough bad publicity about Indonesia these few months.
I would certainly recommend Kuta Beach and Denpasar. Just be extra
cautious.
I had also roamed Kuta Beach and Denpasar with a F5 with no trouble.

For Leon, may I add Tabanan for an alternative paddy field views.
Bintang Bali Restaurant is in Tanjung Benoa. Also offers lessons in
Balinese cooking.

Francis Sembiring

Francesco Sanfilippo wrote:

> My "wife" and I visited Bali, Hong Kong, and Bangkok for 3 weeksduring
> January 1998.  It was our first photo trip to Asia and was
> anenormously successful trip, both photographically and
> pleasurably.Bali was definitely the highlight of the trip for both of
> us.  We easilyshot 4-5 rolls of film EACH on a daily basis while in
> Bali....the entireisland is amazingly photogenic - the people, the
> temples, the culture.The only other place in the world I have gotten
> such a high number ofstunning photographs in a 2-3 week period is
> France.  Bali is a Leicaphotographer's dream.  Many people speak
> negatively about Kuta andDenpasar, but these places are meccas for
> street photographers andperfect for the clandestine M family.  We
> roamed the streets of Balifrom 6am to midnight every day without a
> hitch.  Yvonne was carryingan F5 with two lenses and I carried a brand
> new chrome R8 with 35Summilux and 80 Summilux and we felt as safe as
> if we were with family.I am sure there are a fair share of hoodlums in
> Kuta and Denpasar, butwe encountered none of them.  Besides,
> Kuta/Denpasar are best seenduring the day when you can roam the
> streets and capture the colorsof the batik-adorned fabrics,
> brightly-colored sarongs, offering plates,and dark faces of the native
> people.  I highly recommend that you hire adriver while you are in
> Bali.  It will make your journey 100 time easier
> andtrouble-free....the moped drivers in Bali are simply death-defying,
> andthe roads are 90% mud and one-lane each direction.  Don't even try
> itif you value your life.  Kuta/Denpasar are great for a ONE DAY
> visit, unlessyou are a beach bum and want to surf or get a beach
> massage and watchgirls.  More highly recommended are taking a 2 to 3
> day trip to the Ubudarea, and a 2-3 day trip to the Northern coast of
> Bali.  I can provide manymore details, including the name, address,
> and phone of the best English-speaking guide on the island, whom we
> hired for 12 hours a day, 5 days ina row.  He took us to all the great
> photo spots, holes in the wall, and smallvillages that no one else
> sees on regular tours.  For about US$60 per day,Nyoman will take up to
> four people around in a modern air-conditioned minivanwith a private
> driver and Nyoman as historian and tour guide, and if you'relucky,
> he'll be free for a few days in a row.  Trust us....he is amazing and
> lovestaking photogs to the best spots off the beaten path. If you need
> more info, or would like to see some scans of Leica images I tookin
> Bali, email me....hope I helped. Francesco Sanfilippo,
> fls@san.rr.com
> Internet Developer and
> NT/SQL Systems Administrator,
> http://www.photorealm.com/
> http://www.glossymedia.com/
> San Diego, CA., USA

- --------------8645C76CFA93CED7A096511F

Hi,
my country. Enough bad publicity about Indonesia these few months.
> [...]
dark faces of the native people.&nbsp; I highly recommend that you hire
you value your life.&nbsp; Kuta/Denpasar are great for a ONE DAY visit,
row.&nbsp; He took us to all the great photo spots, holes in the wall,
he'll be free for a few days in a row.&nbsp; Trust us....he is amazing
Sanfilippo,</font></font>

- --------------8645C76CFA93CED7A096511F--